How often practice you alter water

Full general Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

LisaSch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 vii:45 pm

How often do you alter water

I am just ii nights into my cpap journeying. I accept a resmed car with a humidifier. Both mornings most of the water was left and I tossed it to dry the machine. I use distilled water and then throwing information technology out seems a waste. What is the recommended way to deal with the water each day. Should about of the water be left?

Learning...brand new.


User avatar

Suzannaor
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: How often practice you alter water

Mail by Suzannaor » Thu Jul eleven, 2013 4:39 pm

Like yous, I was changing my water every twenty-four hour period. I only use virtually one-half of it a dark. But after reading a picayune on this lath and talking with my Sleep Therapist, I take been topping it off the second twenty-four hour period. So change completely and cleaning on the 3rd twenty-four hour period. Not wasting as much distilled water this way and so far no problem.

_________________

Machine Mask
Additional Comments: Suzannaor

User avatar

Randyp1234
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat October 22, 2011 8:thirteen am
Location: Decatur, Illinois

Re: How frequently exercise you change water

Post past Randyp1234 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:01 pm

LisaSch wrote:I am merely two nights into my cpap journeying. I accept a resmed auto with a humidifier. Both mornings most of the h2o was left and I tossed it to dry out the auto. I use distilled water so throwing it out seems a waste. What is the recommended way to deal with the water each day. Should nearly of the water be left?

Welcome to the board!! H2o in the humidifier questions are always touchy subjects here and y'all're going to become responses all over the place about what'southward right. Some never supplant the water and but go on topping off. Others will empty, wash, dry out, sterilize, and who know what else. Yous're just going to have to do what makes sense to you.

Randy


Wulfman...

Re: How often do you change water

Mail by Wulfman... » Thu Jul 11, 2013 five:ten pm

LisaSch wrote:I am only two nights into my cpap journey. I have a resmed machine with a humidifier. Both mornings most of the water was left and I tossed it to dry out the machine. I use distilled water so throwing it out seems a waste. What is the recommended manner to bargain with the water each day. Should nigh of the water be left?

Yous're going to get the complete spectrum of answers on this question (and "cleaning" routines if you ask nearly that).
The lesser line is to exercise what You feel comfortable with.

I've been using cool "passover" (no heat) humidification for eight years since I started......and so, I use only a little water during the night. I came upwards with my routine years agone, but what I practise is go on adding water and topping off my humidifier tank......until I've used the last of the gallon I've been using. Then, when I open upwardly a new gallon (nigh 2 1/2 - iii months) I'll dump the remainder and rinse out the tank with hot tap water and refill with distilled. I live in a dry, mount region, and so the air flowing over the water adds enough humidity for me and the absurd air keeps my nasal passages clear.

In my eight-plus years of therapy, I've only taken my humidifier tank apart ONCE to clean information technology......and that was at the beginning of 2012. It still looked "like new", but I idea I'd go through the motions "just because". I'm yet using the very same hose I started with.......and have never "cleaned" information technology. There is no residuum moisture in it in the morn and what MAY exist in there evaporates very chop-chop in this dry climate.
Just, ane of the things that I DO clean/rinse on a regular basis is the air intake filters (cream)......twice a calendar month.

Den

.


User avatar

DreamStalker
Posts: 7509
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:58 am
Location: Nowhere & Everywhere At Once

Re: How often do you change water

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Like Den, I used to just peak off and did that for several years and rinsed out my reservoir maybe once or twice a year without any ill furnishings at all.

I don't change out my water at all anymore cuz I don't use it ... I adapted myself to exercise without any humidification (the key is to eliminate all leaks). I don't use humidification when I am awake and I never did while sleeping earlier I went on CPAP therapy ... and then it only fabricated sense to me that I should non demand any humidification with CPAP so long as my leaks are eliminated. If I do have leaks (which I almost never have) the dry oral cavity/pharynx consequences tell me I accept a problem with my therapy and I need to take corrective action and non cover up the symptoms with humidification (the inadequate modern western medical arroyo to dealing with health problems ... covering upward the symptoms rather than correcting the cause).

But what do I know, I'1000 only the forum conspiracy theorist?

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud system in United states of america history". Too bad they didn't build the smartest voter fraud arrangement and got caught.


User avatar

Pugsy
Posts: 61363
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, U.s.

Re: How ofttimes do you change h2o

Postal service by Pugsy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 half dozen:thirty pm

LisaSch wrote:Should virtually of the water be left?

The corporeality of water used depends on your humidifier setting and the ambient room humidity. If your ambience room humidity is already up in that location and you have a low setting on the humidifier then it won't employ very much water.

I meet my water use vary adequately widely. If I sleep with the window open up I don't use as much water every bit if I shut it. Especially if it rains during the night and I have the window open...information technology won't hardly utilize whatever water at all and I prefer the highest possible setting on my humidifier.
I have run out of h2o during the night in the past (forgot to fill the tank) and my sinuses and nasal mucosa reacted horribly to the dryness then I would rather waste matter a little water than be miserable for two or iii days with the nasal mucosa acting up.

Changing the water and/or cleaning schedules..as already mentioned..there's going to be a wide range of personal preferences.
I personally just acme it off but so I use most of the water on most nights unless it is cool enough to have the window open up.
Other people empty their tanks daily because that is what makes them feel better to do. They run into a need to...I don't so you volition have to determine where your needs tend to want to go.

You lot have several options...if you aren't going to be using much water and so y'all don't have to fill the tank to start with. Make it half full or something similar that.
Yous can also maybe summit information technology off or employ the aforementioned h2o for a week and so dump it and clean the tank (if you wish) and let it air dry and then start over again for another week. There are no hard fast rules on what to do especially if using distilled water.

Now when I on occasion have to utilise tap water I exercise effort to dump it daily because of the minerals in the h2o. Later on a while they tend to build up on the inside of the tank and it looks yucky. Since I am a lazy person I don't want to have to clean information technology (vinegar will easily remove the mineral scale only I hate the olfactory property of vinegar) I prefer to try to limit the mineral build up if I tin can.

Welcome to the forum.

Mask: Bleep no headgear mask.. https://bleepsleep.com/
Machine: AirCurve 10 VAuto

I may take to RISE but I turn down to Smoothen.


123.Shawn T.Westward.
Posts: 748
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:39 pm
Location: Cochise County AZ

Re: How often practice you change water

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Thu Jul 11, 2013 vii:41 pm

I use 75% - 99% of my tank which is filled every night ... I just fill it again (acme it off) with distilled water ... Suit yourself!

I did dump it one 24-hour interval though ... I was parked near a cattle feed g ... Information technology was nice atmospheric condition out ... I had my windows open up before going to bed ... A fly flew into my mask, and up the hose ... Just style I could see it could accept happened ... Equally when I went to "top it off" there was the fly pond in my humidifier tank!

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door information technology will find me home." - Winston Churchill


User avatar

idamtnboy
Posts: 2186
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 two:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: How frequently do you alter h2o

Post by idamtnboy » Thu Jul eleven, 2013 8:04 pm

Randyp1234 wrote:You're just going to have to do what makes sense to you.

......and your pocketbook.


hyperlexis
Posts: 876
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:56 am
Location: Illinois

Re: How often exercise y'all change water

Mail by hyperlexis » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Well hither'due south the matter -- it's 'complicated'.

I originally changed every day. Then every few days and topped off.

Then after discussing the BPA in the plastics issue (see posts below...) I decided to alter the water each day to avoid BPA leaching into the h2o from sitting in the humidifier for long periods.

So then I called Respironics this AM and was told they started using BPA-free plastics in 2011.... I have a 2012 model.

So perhaps for newer PR machines and/or replacement chambers (not sure for other brands) its ok to dump the water every other day. But for older machines of if unsure, definitely dump the water each twenty-four hour period. Distilled water is less than $one at WalMart.


User avatar

Bill44133
Posts: 1086
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:34 pm
Location: North Royalton, OH

Re: How often practise you lot change water

Post by Bill44133 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:30 pm

I merely use half a tank of distilled water per night. So I merely fill it half fashion, and there is just a very petty fleck at the bottom in the AM.
I am decumbent to sinus infections then I feel ameliorate changing out the water daily.


mgaggie
Posts: 870
Joined: Lord's day Apr 21, 2013 iv:30 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: How often do you modify h2o

Post by mgaggie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:07 pm

IMO it comes down to how often you feel the need to alter the water. Everyday, weekly, when information technology gets empty. Its all a matter of option.

I personally top up my tank when needed and fortnightly run the tank through the dishwasher


greg-m
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 ane:07 am
Location: Tasmania Australia

Re: How ofttimes do you modify water

Postal service by greg-g » Fri Jul 12, 2013 two:09 am

It's very personal but I've used this routine for three years.
We accept very practiced tap water and so I don't run into the demand to use distilled.
Most every week I boil a jug full of h2o to remove the chlorine, and requite tank a skillful scrub. I fill the tank and store about one litre of water. Every second night I top up the tank and when the stored water is empty I boil another batch and wash up.
I don't see any problems with this routine.


snoshooo

Re: How often practise you change h2o

Postal service by snoshooo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:57 pm

Yous should change the water at least every iii days, because of the mold that can grow nether the plastic edge around the water reservoir. If yous dry under that rim with q - tips , or the corner of a towel or something, maybe you can go longer without changing the water, but it needs to exist dried out at least once a week, for me. I can actually breathe better just knowing there is no leaner going into my lungs from dampness hiding in the plastic rim - turned -mold that you cant see all the same. My daughter says it takes longer than a few days to grow mold or mildew, but that would be the just thing I'd worry almost.


User avatar

Wulfman...
Posts: 6639
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:41 pm
Location: Nearest fishing spot

Re: How oft practice y'all alter h2o

Post past Wulfman... » Fri Mar 25, 2016 ten:xvi pm

snoshooo wrote:You should modify the water at to the lowest degree every three days, because of the mold that can grow nether the plastic edge effectually the h2o reservoir. If y'all dry under that rim with q - tips , or the corner of a towel or something, maybe yous can get longer without irresolute the water, but it needs to be dried out at least once a week, for me. I can really breathe improve only knowing there is no leaner going into my lungs from dampness hiding in the plastic rim - turned -mold that you deceit run across yet. My girl says it takes longer than a few days to grow mold or mildew, merely that would be the simply thing I'd worry about.

You should accept some lessons in logic and do some reading.
Nothing (like pathogens) can go from the HH tank to y'all. The water vapor molecules are as well small to deport annihilation out.
And, "drying" a tank is absurd. If you feel you MUST launder the tank, do it in the evening before bedtime and refill with distilled.
Any residual wet in the hose or whatsoever volition exist added to the h2o vapor coming out of the tank.

Can germs pass from the humidifier to me?

No, using a heated humidifier in line with your CPAP device volition not crusade y'all to become sick or requite you germs. Fisher & Paykel Healthcare'south heated humidifiers are laissez passer-over humidifiers that practise not produce aerosols (the fine water droplets that are visible to the middle such equally steam from a kettle). Pass-over humidifiers add wet in the form of water vapor. Water vapor particles are smaller than bacteria or viruses then it is impossible for them to be transported upward to the mask (and and then to you). Even if pathogens (germs) were able to exist in the chamber, they would not be able to exist transported to you. Refer to the diagram beneath which demonstrates the size of water vapor, bacteria and virus particles.

Image

Den

.

(5) REMstar Autos westward/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05


HoseCrusher
Posts: 2744
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 vi:42 pm

Re: How often do y'all change water

Mail past HoseCrusher » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:xx am

There are really two sides to this discussion...

http://world wide web.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2556912/

snip
The handling of choice for obstructive slumber apnea (OSA) is nasal continuous positive airway pressure level (nCPAP) during sleep, simply dryness of the upper airway compromises compliance. Heated humidifiers may mitigate such noncompliance; however, recent observations suggest that their utilise, peculiarly if not cleaned, increases the risk of respiratory infections. Humidifier water may be contaminated, just the long-held view that passive humidifiers cannot aerosolize water may obscure the perception of risk of infection.

snip
Bacteria were recovered in 9 of 11 tests from the breathing tubes of CPAP devices fitted with heated humidifiers with water contaminated with Brevundimonas diminuta or Serratia marcescens.

This means that under controlled experiments the information provided past F&P is incorrect. xPAP machines can form aerosols.

The bigger question is how do you introduce contamination to the water in the first place, and how often does your machine run at higher period rates where information technology is capable of producing aerosols?

SpO2 96+% and holding...